Saturday, October 24, 2009

Google Wave and You Part Two


This is the second of three articles about Google Wave.

Part one highlighted the online collaboration.

Speaking of collaboration, what if your colleague is in a different country? In France? On the other side of the world?

What do you do if you don't speak the same language? Maybe you spend time bugging another co-worker who does.

"Excuse me, could you translate this for me? It's only 3 pages in 8 point font."

"Well, yes and no. Yes, I can, but no, I am busy right now. I have my own work to do."

Or maybe you can try to translate it yourself, but it takes time and it is another step in the process.

With Google Wave, you can set it up with your colleague so that when you type in English, -- pow!-- it shows up in French.

He or she types in French and --pow!-- you see in English.

English --pow!-- Anglaise.

Francais --pow!-- French.

Vous etes traduie --ahem-- you are translating real-time with Google Wave.

1 comment:

  1. I'm now totally curious to see how well the autotranslation feature holds up in the real world. There are enough of the well-documented cases where "lost in translation" becomes comical at best, and unintentionally offensive at worst.

    ReplyDelete